I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can always come to for all of your online resources needs. I’ll add to it as I learn more, but you’ll notice that in the future I will reference this page quite often. I recommend bookmarking it for your reference and convenience. Enjoy!
- Byword: This is the disctraction-free word processor that I use to write anything – from blog posts to video scripts, sales copy and presentations.
- Grammarly: The spell-check tool I use, on steroids. Through my browser, anything I write automatically goes through their database of spelling and grammatical checks to make sure I write properly.
PRODUCT DISTRIBUTION & SHOPPING CARTS
- Gumroad: My favorite digital product distribution system. I use gumroad to manage sales and distribution of my products at FoodTruckr.com, and I also use their licensing feature for products sold on SmartPodcastPlayer.com. Super cool company – say hi to Ryan and Jessica for me!
- E-Junkie: The shopping cart I use to sell my eBook at GreenExamAcademy.com. It’s compatible with Paypal Standard, Paypal Pro, Google Checkout, Authorize.net, TrialPay, Clickbank & 2CheckOut. Works like a charm, very low flat price to use. Comes with a decent affiliate program for your products.
- Clickbank: Another digital products retailer. Probably the most popular. Decently priced, but comes with an amazing affiliate program for your products.
- Paypal.com: Paypal is just ok for selling your own products through them, but you’ll need an account anyways to configure with and accept payments from the above shopping cart
- Google Adsense: Make money by placing relevant ads on your website that are generated from advertisers using Google Adwords. This is free to use, but you have to register for an account.
- Google Adwords: If you want to begin advertising on Google, you can select keywords and locations and you pay each time someone clicks on your advertisement.
- Google Analytics: Google’s free website tracking and analytical tool. A must have for anyone with any type of website.
- Clicky: Clicky is just like Google Analytics, except it’s easier to use, and you can view how many people are on your site (and what they are doing) in real time! Your first site is free.
- Sucuri: My websites are my business…and my livelihood! I don’t want any intruders, so I pay a yearly fee to make sure that if anyone tampers with my sites, it’ll be taken care of right away, with alerts/notifications letting me know what’s up. Sucuri is definitely great for peace of mind, if anything.
- Limit Login Attempts (WordPress Plugin): Install this plugin to limit the number of times someone can attempt to login to your WordPress admin panel before getting blocked. This helps to stop those who keep trying to break in by logging into your website with different passwords (and there are tools to help speedup this process).
GETTING HELP FROM OTHERS / OUTSOURCING
- Elance: Hired service for just about anything you can think of.
- Odesk: Another outsource website for freelancers, IT companies, programmers and web designers from abroad.
- 99Designs: This is a unique website that you can use if you need a logo design. It’s in a contest format. You submit the description of what you want, and designers will compete against each other to win money.
- SpeechPad: This is the service I use to get transcripts done for my podcasts and videos.
- Virtual Staff Finder: I just recently hired a full-time VA and this is where I got him. Virtual Staff Finder is the best and quickest headhunter service on the web if you’re looking for high quality VAs for anything you want done by someone else for your online business. It’s run by my buddy Chris Ducker and I highly recommend it.
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss, Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich: Pretty much the most awesome book in the entire world. I reference this quite a bit in my posts.
- ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income by Darren Rowse: The best book about blogging from the number one online blogger, Darren Rowse.
- The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau: My latest book addition to my resource page, and for good reason – this book rocks! It’s a sweet blend of The 4-Hour Work Week (but more realistic), and Rework (but more actionable).
- ScreenFlow (for Mac users) – the screen capture software I’m currently using.
- Camtasia for PC (Camtasia Studio) – for screen captures
- Omnidazzle – to draw on your screen (free)
- Bamboo Pen and Tablet – This is the pen and tablet I use to make drawing on the screen extremely easy.
- SplashEO (for Awesome Intro and Outro Graphics): If you want professional looking intros and outros for your videos, this is the place to go. Gideon Shalwick, the owner, is a good friend and I was totally blown away from the quality and turnaround time. Check it out!
- Canon Rebel T4i (The Camera I Use): I’d recommend starting shooting videos with your smartphone, but if you’re getting serious a DSLR camera like this one will do the trick. This is the camera I use for my videos, which I like because of the auto-focus feature (in video mode while recording, which is rare), and the flip out screen so you can see yourself and make sure you’re where you want to be on screen.
IMAGES & PHOTOS
- iStockPhoto: This is where I purchase royalty-free images that I use on my sites.
- Flickr Creative Commons: This is where you can get free images for your website, but there are some rules that go along with it. Read the post in the first image & photo resource above to make sure you know how it all works.
- Long Tail Pro: This is a top-of-the-line keyword research tool that many claim to be better and more user friendly than Market Samurai. I’ve tested it myself, and it’s hard to disagree. I personally know the owner, Spencer Haws, have interviewed him on my podcast as well. He’s a great guy who is always looking to improve this piece of software for his users. Click this link to get a special discount off the regular price!
- Market Samurai: The number one tool for keyword research available, hands down. You can view my tutorial videos about Market Samurai here.
- Keyword Researcher: One of the best tools to find popular long tail keywords for your niche. Watch the video on the homepage, I promise you’ll be impressed.
- Seo Book Keyword Suggestion Tool: Another fantastic keyword research tool, with even more information and numbers to compare and select the perfect keywords.
- Seo Keyword Ranking: An excellent tool to keep track of the keywords you’re working on. Excellent interface and really easy to use.